29 January 2013

And Sew On Block of the Month - January!



Hi!  Hope your January is going great!  I wanted to share a new skill I'm learning - foundation paper piecing!  Over at Quiet Play, Kristy is doing a BOM where we get to download a free block each month from Craftsy to make a wall hanging by the end of the year.  The blocks are all based on a sewing theme and we work up to a much more difficult block. Very fun!

Here's my January block below!  It will be fun to get a different design to work from each month!

You actually sew on the lines of a printed page, carefully adding each section one at a time.  I embroidered the ruler for fun.  I used a bit of Flea Market Fancy too, and the fabric that looks black is actually Robert Kaufman quilters linen (it has a pattern).  I like the way it turned out - it was really easy!


I can't wait for February!

01 January 2013

Quilted knitting needle holder for my Mom!

Happy 2013!!  

This project started out with a call from my Mom who wanted a cool place to store all of her straight knitting needles.  She didn't want a store bought holder, and they rarely are large enough to put all your different lengths of needles and double points.  This call came a week or so before Christmas so I didn't have a lot of time!!

I started with an idea that came from a Della Q knitting needle case I have at home, but I wanted to have a quilted back to give the case a lot more interest.  Mom wanted pink so I had my theme!  I decided to use some Flea Market Fancy and a few other pink fabrics I had in my stash.



I cut a piece of batting as big as the entire knitting needle roll will be, and used Quilt As You Go method to piece the quilting.  This was my first try at QAYG and I don't think I'm very good at it, but I liked the way it turned out!

I then created the front of the holder with 3 levels of pockets like the Della Q bag, and marked the pockets with a hera marker so I could sew the slots easily.  Each pocket is a folded layer sandwiching interfacing.  


Below is the front of the finished holder showing the 3 levels of pockets.  I sandwiched the front and back right sides together, sewed all around and then turned right side out.  Then I topstitched all around.


And here is the back of the holder showing the patchwork!  The one thing I would change if I were to make another one would be to use a thinner batting or even QAYG on interfacing instead of batting.  The finished holder turned out just a bit too thick when rolled up



patchwork detail
Here is the holder actually in use by my Mom, and it even made it to Florida before Christmas!  : )


All rolled up and ready to store!


I will be posting a bunch more finished (mostly Christmas) projects soon!

Have a wonderful 2013!  Lily.